One Day Closer, A College Prep Series
Thrive Clermont, Sylvan Learning Center of Clermont and Community Foundation of South Lake are partnering to present this Series for South Lake County teens seeking support in preparing for and navigating the college entrance exam preparation and application process.
Selected participants will receive the following:
- Administration of a SAT/ACT Practice Test through Sylvan Learning Center of Clermont and analysis of student’s strengths and weaknesses.
- Four weeks of online practice activities for test preparation.
- Four 2-hour educational sessions to strengthen the student’s ability to succeed on the college entrance exams and the college application process. Session topics will include:
- Introduction to the College Admission process, a review of the participant’s progress and high school graduation requirements, and SAT/ACT Test taking Strategies
- Guidance in researching and evaluating colleges to find the best collegiate fit for the student to achieve academic and personal success
- Direction in building the student’s high school profile and planning college application essays
- Education and support to understand the college financial aid process and how to find and apply for private scholarships available for South Lake County students
- Open Help sessions with experienced admission counselors from local colleges
Students who are selected AND attend all four One Day Closer sessions will receive:
- A voucher for Sylvan Learning Center of Clermont’s SAT or ACT Boot Camp
- Continued SAT/ACT online assistance for 12 months.
Availability and Commitment
To take become part of this amazing opportunity, you MUST be able to make and fulfill the following time commitment:
- You will be expected to attend workshops on ALL of the following dates:
- Saturday August 19, 2017 9:30 a.m.- 12:30 p.m. – SAT Practice test proctored
- Saturday September 9, 2017 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Session 1
- Saturday September 16, 2017 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Session 2
- Saturday September 23, 2017 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Session 3
- Saturday September 30, 2017 10:00 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. – Session 4 (with lunch provided for parents/guardians)
- All One Day Closer Sessions will take place at the Community Foundation of South Lake County, 2150 Oakley Seaver Drive, Clermont, FL 34711 Transportation is NOT provided at this time, so you must be able to get there.
- Upon successful completion of this series, students will receive SAT/ACT test waivers and 6 Hours in 2 sessions of SAT Boot Camp and 12 months of online tutorials from Sylvan. In return, you must agree to take the SAT in November or December OR the ACT in October or December and submit your scores to Thrive Clermont. We will use this data to improve and grow our program.